Re: [GENERAL] Backup

Simon Riggs wrote:
On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 07:21 -0500, Chander Ganesan wrote:
If you don't mind if you lose some transactions

That sentence has no place in any discussion about "backup" because the
risk is not just a few transactions, it is a corrupt and inconsistent
database from which both old and new data would be inaccessible.

As far as I am concerned, if any Postgres user loses data then we're all
responsible.
I understand your point, but indicating that you can't trust a point-in-time snapshot of the database is, IMHO, the same as saying you can't trust PostgreSQL's automatic crash recovery, since the two are essentially the same thing...

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.

               http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate