Re: MacOS X 10.5.1 and compiling for multiple Architectures

Chris Ruprecht wrote:
Hey Tom, Shane,

I'm good to run with the x86_64 only binary since my Apache is built using that architecture.

That's not a real reason to run pg in 64 bit.

Although you would need php and libpq to be the same architecture as apache (the running architect if multiple available) - the postgresql server can be 32 bit. If apache is only 64 bit then you will need a 64 bit libpq.

Apache calls functions in the php module which then calls functions in the libpq - they must all have matching architectures available to do this which is why apple supplies fat binary libs with osx.

From there to postgresql is a network connection (or local socket) so each program is just sending data to the other - they don't need to be the same architecture any more than you need a 64 bit sparc browser to connect to a 64 bit sparc web server.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz