Re: MacOS X 10.5.1 and compiling for multiple Architectures

Chris Ruprecht wrote:
Hello all,

I am trying to build PG 8.3Beta4 for MacOS Leopard.
It works fine when using the default i386 architecture. However, this is not an option as Apple, in their wisdom, have chosen to build Apache as a 64-bit application and their PHP 5.2.4 module without PG support as a Intel 32, Intel 64, PPC 32 and PPC 64 type module. For those that don't know: Under MacOS, it is possible to build executables that will run native on multiple architectures, all contained in a single file - kind of weird, and pretty bloated.

It was noted a while back that pg had issues with 64 bit on osx - unsure if it was resolved.
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2007-08/msg01410.php

I do recall some time back there was discussion about getting pg to be built as a fat binary on osx, but it doesn't seem to have made it into the source.

one place that may help you for now is
http://www.entropy.ch/blog/Software/2006/02/04/PostgreSQL-Universal-Binary-Build-Tips.html
and
http://www.entropy.ch/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=9579#9579