Re: Schema security

Tom Lane wrote:
Paul Lambert <paul.lambert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
I would have thought giving the user all privileges on a schema would by default add them to all objects within it,

Why would you think that?

The analogy to think about is that usage privilege on a schema is
comparable to read access on a directory.  That doesn't necessarily give
you access to any single file in the directory --- but lack of it does
ensure you cannot get to those files.

			regards, tom lane

Point taken and yes, I would agree that default behavior should be to not give priviledges to anything other than the explicitly defined object - but would it not be a good idea to provide some sort of cascade/recurse option to granting/revoking privileges so that doing so on a container object results in the priviledges being propogated down the line for the cases where such is desired?

Taking your example of file permissions - although it is not default behavior, it is possible to recursively apply a priviledge change to a directory onto files/subdirectories within it. Certainly it can be done on OpenVMS and Windows that I work with primarily and I'm 99% sure it can be done on *ix systems too.

I.e.
GRANT ALL ON SCHEMA <blah> TO <role> CASCADE;
NOTICE: GRANT ALL cascades to table "billings"
NOTICE: GRANT ALL cascades to table "customers"
NOTICE: GRANT ALL cascades to function "calculate_daily_balance()"
etc...

Much the same way that truncate or drop and so forth can have a cascade option to propogate down to dependant objects.

--
Paul Lambert
Database Administrator

               http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate