Re: [GENERAL] Error while starting postgreSQL service

Don't forget to cc: the list, other people will probably know more than me.

Bebarta, Simanchala wrote:

Hi,

My postgreSQL 8.2.4 is installed on Windows server 2003 Enterprise
Edition.

OK. Thanks.

8.2.5 has been released, and you should consider upgrading soon. The Windows-related changes seem to be:
# Windows socket and semaphore improvements (Magnus)
# Make pg_ctl -w work properly in Windows service mode (Dave Page)
# Fix memory allocation bug when using MIT Kerberos on Windows (Magnus)
# Suppress timezone name (%Z) in log timestamps on Windows because of possible encoding mismatches (Tom)

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/release-8-2-5.html

Could the Kerberos-related bug be affecting you?

Windows Server configuration:
RAM 4GB
HDD 50 GB
Processor: Pentium 4 CPU 3.20 GHz

When the shared_buffers = 2048 MB is set in the Postgresql.conf file,
while starting the service, I got the error

 Could not open process token "error code-5".

Does the problem go away when you put shared_buffers back to a lower number?

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd