Re: way to turn off epochs in log_filename

On Oct 27, 2007, at 11:30 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
1. Logrotate moves the old log file to a new name, equivalent to
something like this:
mv postgresql.log postgresql.log.1
In the mean time, PG keeps writing to the same file.
2. Logrotate sends a HUP (as configured in the logrotate conf) to the
postmaster process, which causes PG to close the old log file
(postgresql.log.1) and open a new one (postgresql.log).

If I understand correctly, you're saying that this process either
won't work or isn't portable. Is that correct?

Specifically, PG does not respond to SIGHUP in the way you are imagining above. The log-file-switch capability is either nonexistent (if no log
collector process) or built in (if log collector is active) and there
doesn't seem any value in driving the latter from outside PG.

Thanks for clearing that up. I think I'll just go with a script to clean up the files.

David

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster