Re: Please help (backup)

On 10/22/07, Anibal David Acosta <aa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Really all file content after object definitions looks like
> "Encoded/Encrypted" and when I do a restore all table data are restored
> successfully (except one, that is in the "corrupted sector"). So, maybe the
> pg_dump do a encrypt or something like that over the DATA content.

No. What likely happened is that due to a bug in your OS or harddrive
controller, sectors from the middle of a binary (like an executable)
got put in place of some of your blocks in your postgresql backup.

You need to use a robust editor like vi to chop those parts out and
see what you get.

But the real answer is to use a known good backup.

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend