Re: except command

olivier boissard <olivier.boissard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I tried to use the except command in postgresql 8.1
> I don't understand as it works
> When I read doc , I understand that it was like a difference betwwen two
> queries

That isn't how I read it:

"The EXCEPT operator returns the rows that are in the first result set
but not in the second."

( http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/sql-select.html )

Are you seeing something different?

This gets me all the eye color codes that don't start with the letter 'B'.
(There are of course easier ways to get that...)

bigbird=> select * from "EyeColorCode" except select * from "EyeColorCode" where "eyeColorCode" like 'B%';
 eyeColorCode |      descr      | isActive | dotEyeColorCode
--------------+-----------------+----------+-----------------
 GRN          | Green           | t        | GRN
 GRY          | Gray            | t        | GRY
 HAZ          | Hazel           | t        | HAZ
 MAR          | Maroon          | t        | MAR
 MUL          | Multicolored    | t        | DIC
 PNK          | Pink            | t        | PNK
 XXX          | Unknown         | t        | UNK
(7 rows)

-Kevin

               http://archives.postgresql.org