Re: initdb problem

Hi Joe,

This has got to be the longest thread ever to get PostgreSQL running on the Mac -- but I'm glad you have not given up :).

On Jun 21, 2007, at 12:49 AM, Joe Barwell wrote:

acorn$ sudo su postgres -c 'pg_ctl start -l logfile -D
/Library/PostgreSQL8/data'
Password:
sh: line 1: logfile: Permission denied
server starting

Since you did not specify the full path for the log file, I assume it is created in the current directory. Check your permissions there.

acorn$ postgres
postgres cannot access the server configuration file
"/Library/PostgreSQL8/data:/postgresql.conf": No such file
or directory

Surely initdb should have created the configure file?

Change to the data directory and see what is there. If you don't see lots of folders along with pg_hba.conf and postgresql.conf, then initdb did not work.

At the risk of sending you down another path when you are close, you might want to look at this distribution and instructions:

http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/postgresql/

If you still don't have initdb working, you might want to rename your postgres user and create a new one as described in these instructions.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL