Re: problems installing postgresql 8.0 on Mac OS

On Jun 11, 2007, at 7:52 PM, jbar@xxxxxxxx wrote:

The
installer seemed to run fine, but afterward I find that
there are no postgres
files in my /sw/ directory. It has installed files in
/Applications/ instead, but I
suspect they are just gui front-ends.

/sw is just for Fink, so I would expect nothing to go there unless you are using Fink.

Which package did you download from sourceforge? I notice there are several variations and some might only have the client tools. It looks like you want the "PostgreSQL Unified Installer".

I downloaded the startup item package. It appears to install the server in /Library folder. Here is the startup line:

su -m postgres -c '/Library/PostgreSQL8/bin/pg_ctl start -D /Library/ PostgreSQL8/data -l /Library/PostgreSQL8/log/PostgreSQL8.log -o -i'

 Both use source rather than
binaries. Both show
./configure commands that will only work if I first have
postgres installed
either at /usr/local/src/ (which I believe is not a valid
path) or /users/shared/,
but I don't see any way for ./configure to work even if I
pointed it at /
Applications/PostgreSQL\ Folder/.

It does not matter where you put the source to compile it. Just change to the directory where the source is. And you can have it put the binaries wherever you want if you provide the --prefix option to make.

If you don't have Apple's developer tools installed (required to build from source), I suggest you ask sourceforge project admins for help on their list or forum. They just put out a new version, so I'm sure they would be interested to know if there are problems.

John

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL