Re: Vacuum stops with misleading max_fsm_pages error

Kieran Cooper, Lyris UK wrote:
Hi there,

We're managing a database on version 8.2.3 (running Lyris ListManager email software). I ran a 'vacuum analyze full verbose' (we haven't been able to get autovacuum to work properly on Lyris installs so we need to run a full vacuum every week or so, and we'd been doing some work on this machine so it needed it)

Why not just set up a regular vacuum to run twice a day?

. It ran happily for quite a while - about
2 thirds of the way through the database - but then ended with the lines

INFO:  free space map contains 20914 pages in 61 relations
DETAIL:  A total of 14992 page slots are in use (including overhead).
14992 page slots are required to track all free space.
Current limits are:  900000 page slots, 6000 relations, using 5659 kB.

This happens (at more or less the same point but with slightly different figures) each time I try to run this command. It also happens even if I only do vacuum verbose.

I am not sure what your question is. The above looks perfectly reasonable.

I can vacuum individual tables quite happily but I'm not sure I can manage to do all of them individually.

See comment above about using a vacuum/vacuum analyze twice a day.

As you see, I've upped the page slots and relations (there are 131 tables in the database in total) and it seems to me like there is more than enough.

Yep.

Any ideas would be gratefully received!

...? The only thing I would say is that you are entirely too many max_fsm_pages and max_fsm_relations. I would drop it back dow:

max_fsm_pages = 100000
max_fsm_relations = 1000

But that doesn't really answer your question as much as state that you don't need as much as you have.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Thanks
Kieran Cooper