Re: How to compile with different MAXALIGN?

Sean Murphy wrote:
> search of the Docs tells me that I can compile the server with a
> different MAXALIGN, but the install docs don't give any indication
> how this is achieved. Is there a configure or gmake option I can
> feed, or do I need to change a line in one (or more) of the source
> files?

Alignment is a property dictated by the compiler, so the official way to
change that is to argue with your compiler.  On Linux i386, it seems
that the option -malign-double will get you the 8 byte alignment that
might be compatible with your Windows build.

All of this, however, is totally unofficial and highly risky, because an
alignment difference might indicate that there are other differences in
the binary data layout that are not caught by the existing checks.  You
will get data corruption if you are wrong.  Moreover, a build with a
nonstandard alignment will be incompatible with everything else on your
system in ways that are hard to define in brief, so interfacing with
other libraries or modules will possibly be broken, as will your next
PostgreSQL upgrade.

--
Peter Eisentraut