Built-in log rotation

Greetings! I've been doing some research into log rotation software and ran into this, while looking through the postgres site:

"There is a built-in log rotation program, which you can use by setting the configuration parameter redirect_stderr to true in postgresql.conf."
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/logfile-maintenance.html

My question is, how does it rotate logs? Does it perform a copy/truncate of the logfile? I know in older versions of postgres, if you tried to move the log file, and create one with the same name, the server wouldn't actually write to it without a restart...at least in linux it wouldn't. Do many of you use this mechanism? If not, what have you found to be a reliable solution?

Thanks in advance for the info!

- Kris