Re: how to add a new data partition

Karthikeyan Sundaram wrote:
Hi Scott,

Thanks for replying. The tablespace is not the main problem here. I want the data files to grow in the new partition along with the old linux partition.

  Let me put like this.

We have a linux partition of 120GB called as /local/postgres/database/Data/< followed by all files>

    This /local partition is 95 % used.

So we are adding one more partition called /local1 which is approximately 250 GB. Now I want to inform postgres that after /local partiion is 100 %, I want to utilize the /local1 so that the database can grow significantly. In other words, the data file created and maintained by postgres will grow in the /local1 partition.

The closest I would think is partitioning - data matching certain criteria can be in one tablespace and other data in another tablespace. This won't be just once this disk is full use another - you would say something like table1's rows with id<2000000 on this disk and id>=2000000 on another. If your data is that large you may want to look into the benefit's it can offer even if you do use lvm.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/ddl-partitioning.html

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx