Re: multiple postgres instances from RPM install

On 12/19/06, Tom Kalafut <tommyk@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am getting ready to set up 2 postgres instances, but I'm somewhat new to
postgres.  I've used RPM to list out all the files that are installed, and I
think I've isolated all the executables of which I need to make separate
copies, but I was hoping for some confirmation.

please read about initdb

you can initdb two different empty directories as two different unix users.
when you initdb a directory you will get a postgresql.conf file in it.
you can change the port number in that file to run different instances
separately.

but do you really need two different instances that would possibly compete
each other for resources?

 I heard the exact files
that need copying are listed in a thread somewhere in the archives, but I
can't seem to find it.  Could someone please point me to it?

The motivation behind this is having 2 distinct SELinux policies for 2
separate users with their own separate databases.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom Kalafut
 Interchange/CG Crew Member
 Trident Systems Inc.
 tommyk@xxxxxxxxxxx
 (919)388-1264

The opinions expressed in this email may not necessarily reflect the
opinions of Trident Systems Inc.