take a file system backup from /data folder

hi to all
i try lot to get the data back from my /data folder but i am fail to get
it back

i give the ftp site address from where u download the backup.tar file
this file contain zipped /data folder

so plase any one help me is there any way to get data back from this /data
folder

the o.s version  of original /data folder is
postgresql 7.3 version of redhat 9.0

dangerous content by BanasDairy Mailserver , and is
believed to be clean.For any query contact at
system@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx