Re: Out of file-descriptors message

Tom Lane wrote:
Geoffrey <esoteric@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
I work with the original poster and wanted to make sure the problem here is clear. The 'out of file descriptors' message is coming from Postgresql, not the kernel. Thus, it doesn't make sense to me that the max_files_per_process setting is too high. I would think we need to increase it so that Postgresql will stop generating these errors.

These are not "errors", they are only log messages.  It would be
perfectly safe to ignore them.  However, as Alvaro says, if you want
to get rid of them then the way to do that is to *decrease*
max_files_per_process to something less than whatever per-process file
limit the kernel is enforcing.

Understood, but we had one database that was generating these messages continuously over a period of 4 days. Eventually, the machine became unresponsive. Still, we did not have any file descriptor errors generated by the kernel. Thus we are considering whether we should decrease max_files_per_process or increase the postgres id's 'ulimit -n' value.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

 - Benjamin Franklin