Re: Uninstalling on Mac OS X 10.4

Stan Horwitz wrote:
A few months ago, I installed Postgress 8 on my Mac to test some software that required it. My testing is done and I need to remove Postgress now, but I cannot find any information on how to do it. All I can find is the original package files, but nothing about unstalling it. I saw in some online forums that some people install Postgress by using Fink. I did not do that; I simply clicked on the package icon in the folder and I did what it told me to do and it worked fine. So what's the secret to remove Postgress now?

The first step is to locate where the package installed the files - default would be /usr/local/pgsql for the main binaries and data and the startup script will be in /Library/StartupItems/PostgreSQL

The startup script will contain the binary and data directories paths.
prefix= will be the binary dir and PGDATA= for the data dir which is most likely inside the binary dir.

Adjust the following paths if it is installed elsewhere.
If you use the terminal enter
sudo rm -R /usr/local/pgsql
sudo rm -R /Library/StartupItems/PostgreSQL

or in the finder select Go To Folder from the Go menu and enter /usr/local and delete the pgsql folder from there then goto /Library/StartupItems and delete the PostgreSQL folder.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz