Re: autovacuum ignore tables

Sriram Dandapani wrote:
The only issue I have with autovacuum is the fact that I have to briefly
stop/restart postgres every couple of days, which kills autovacuum and
it has no memory of previous work done. I work with several databases
with partitioned tables having high daily volume. Dropping partitioned
tables locks out jdbc inserts and the drop command itself goes into a
WAIT state. Hence, I have to stop postgres,update pg_hba.conf to prevent
access,restart postgres,drop tables and update pg_hba to allow
access(Crazy, but I have no choice because Postgres deadlocks on drop
child tables while inserts happen on the parent)

Sounds like a fairly serious problem, but I'll let someone else talk to that. As for the autovac issue, as of 8.1 and autovac being integrated into core, this isn't true. It does remember where it was, at least as long as you don't have the GUC var reset_stats_on_restart (something like that) set.

Matt