Fwd: COPY FROM command v8.1.4

Sorry Tom, Somone had not put the reply to header in correctly......

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Peter Childs <peterachilds@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12-Sep-2006 10:16
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] COPY FROM command v8.1.4
To: Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On 11/09/06, Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Mr. Dan" <bitsandbytes88@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> We have a table with 12028587 records in it.
> We do a COPY TO file of the records for this table.
> We count the number of records in the file, it has 12028587 lines.
> We do a COPY FROM that file into a table with identical structure as the
> first table.
> We count the number of records in the second table and there are only
> 12028538 records.

Try dumping the second table with COPY TO and diff'ing the dump files
to get more detail about what's missing.

If you repeat the entire experiment, are the same records missing each
time?  I'm wondering about flaky hardware as much as anything.

                        regards, tom lane

I presume your doing a select count(*) from table not reading the
stats from vacuum verbose or pg_class....
I know it sounds stupid but its a common mistake and vacuum is only a guess

Peter Childs