Re: Restoring database question..

Hi there,

My question is as follows, is it possible to simply copy the data files
to their correct location and getting access to the databases as they
looked at the time of the hacking attempt?
I should have the exact same setup before the hack as after, no version
changes or anything.

If the database was running when the files were backed up, then just copying
them over is very unlikely to work.

The thing is, there was no backup. The machine was hacked and someone did an 'rm -rf *' on / and I don't know if it removed the postgres program first or the datafiles first, nor do I know if that matters.

Also, the main data files also exist (I copied the data folder to its correct place as the restoring technique), I can select from the actual data, only the pg_* tables seem to be missing since I can't dump the database or do \d on any tables.

Archie