Re: two databases in one

Thanks for your response.

Indeed , the serials are used as foreign keys.

We made a web site with a database. Then we duplicated the web site and the databse (without data, only schéma) for another server .
The 2 databases were filled in the same time.

Now someone would like to merge the 2 databases and have only 1 site and 1 database. I was thinking about changing serials of the 2nd database and do a restore on the 1st, as you said.
But it's a big database, and i'm not sure of the exactly things to do.

Ben K. a écrit :
I've got two databases with the same tables and schema on two different servers.
I want to have only one database.
So i would like to insert in the first database the data of the second database. I don't know how to do this because almost of the tables contains serial.
It's for production databases, i can't make mistakes.

Maybe you could just import the second database into another schema of the first database if it's urgent...

Otherwise the nature of conflicts will have to be thought through, like

- Are there some data that exist in both databases - i.e. which become duplicates if both tables are merged?

- Are the serials used as foreign keys in other tables or as the basis of any other fields?

- Can the serials be changed to different numbers - e.g., is it ok or even needed to convert "11" on database B to "10011" on database A and so on, to avoid conflict two ID 11 records having different data?

- Does the order of records matter?

Once the problem is familiar, many gurus will be able to help. I just wanted to provide a starter.

Regards,

Ben K.
Developer
http://benix.tamu.edu

      match

begin:vcard
fn:Samantha  Soulabaille
n:Soulabaille;Samantha
org:SIHPIC
adr;dom:;;43 avenue d'Italie;amiens;;80094 cedex 3
email;internet:samantha.soulabaille@xxxxxxxxx
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
end:vcard