Re: installing on user account

On 8/4/06, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Am Freitag, 4. August 2006 17:57 schrieb Rodolfo Borges:
> $psql -U jabberd2 jabberd2
> psql: FATAL:  IDENT authentication failed for user "jabberd2"

You need to read up on configuring the client authentication.  If you don't
have root access, ident is probably not a good choice.  In particular ...

But that's a postgres global setting, not a database-specific setting, right?
So, I would need root access to change it.

Back from lunch now, I'll proceed with the installation of my own
postgres on my $HOME.

> I also tried appending a -W argument to that command.
> It asked for the password, I gave the password from the createuser
> command, and the same error ocurred.

... if you expect to use password authentication, you need to change the
client authentication mechanism away from ident and toward passwords.

Thanks for the tip.

--
Rodolfo Borges