Re: Postgres replication solutions

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006, Mario Splivalo wrote:

PIRT restores are not working for me. I did it like this: I issued
pg_start_backup, then I 'tar cvf - pg_data/ | nc destination 9876'-ed
the cluster directory, when that was done i did pg_stop_backup, after
that I deleted pg_xlog directory, and put new WAL files (created after
backup begun) in directory specified in restore.conf. I started
postgres, everything went ok. Postgres replayed wal files, and system
was ready. Then, when new WAL files arrived, I shut down postgres, put
WAL files in place, restarted postgres, but it complained, and didn't
replay newly created wal files. It only does so when I 'recreate'
original filesystem backup.

That is how PITR works. You will always have to redo the base backup before being able to restore again, can't just start the replay from a previously restored version. You could however, just replay from your original base backup if you're keeping those archived WAL files.

Another option is using pgpool's replication.

I considered that too, but that adds another layer between the clients
and postgres itself, and it allows for only two servers, and I realy
don't need failover cluster capabilities.

	Mike

--
Jeff Frost, Owner 	<jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Phone: 650-780-7908	FAX: 650-649-1954