Re: Read db files directly

So, is the working postmaster running in /var/lib/pgsql/data?

Have you taken Tom's advice and run 'VACUUM pg_database' ? Or even just 'vacuumdb -av' ?

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006, Mingzuo Shen wrote:

Thanks Jeff!

No, cannot do that.
Because the folder has only the "oid" files.
Don't know that to call them.
All file names are numbers.
Except the three following:
pg_internal.init
pgsql_tmp (empty folder)
PG_VERSION

/seagate400/1061329089 is the actual location
of those 50 GB worth of files.
I have a symlink like so:
/var/lib/pgsql/data/base/1061329089
->
/seagate400/1061329089
Restarted many times.

--- Jeff Frost <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So what are the two locations in question?  Is one
/var/lib/pgsql/data and
another one /usr/local/pgsql/data by chance?

You can start another instance of postmaster in that
directory by using:

pg_ctl -D <path to data directory> start

example:

pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data start

If you do a ps -ef | grep data, you should probably
see something like:

postgres 20991     1  4 13:33 pts/13   00:00:00
/usr/bin/postmaster -p 5432 -D
/var/lib/pgsql/data

which would tell you that the current instance of
postgres is running in
/var/lib/pgsql/data and you need to start the other
one up to see what's in
the other location.