Re: Starting PostgreSQL from a windows application

Hi Hovik:
Hello,

I have installed Postures on a Windows server and it starts as a service and all is OK.

I have 2 questions:

1. I need to be able to wrap PostgreSQL as part of my application and, therefore, start it as part of my app. start-up. I know that pg_ctl start is the command, but as your documentation clearly states, PostgreSQL can only be started by a non-privileged user. Here lies my problem. Most software needs a privileged user to start it. So how can I start PostgreSQL as a different user from the one which needs to be logged in to start the other software?
You would need the commands to start and stop a Windows service ("net start <ServiceName>" I believe). Does it really matter that PostgreSQL is running while the application isn't?

2. How do I give my users a totally new database. Is backup/restore the only mechanism? Can I copy (parts of) the data directory, from one installation of PostgreSQL to another?
NO!! Never touch the raw PostgreSQL data files. You could, as part of your application, build in an SQL script of your DB schema, created by "pg_dump --schema-only" that gets run through psql, or piped to an Npgsql .NET library, ODBC connection or other technology.

Thanks in advance for your support,

Hovik Avedian
Senior Consultant
Ebase Technology Ltd.

!DSPAM:14,44c7a9ac143291148420564!

--
Andy Shellam <mailto:andy.shellam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
the Mail Network <http://www.mailnetwork.co.uk/>

NetServe Support - we don't go the extra mile; we go the whole distance!

p: (+44) 0 845 838 0879 / +44 0 7818 000834
w: www.mailnetwork.co.uk <http://www.mailnetwork.co.uk/>
e: support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>