Re: PostgreSQL 8.1.4 install failure on Win XP Home laptop

Hi Gordon,

No PG doesn't require the specific Administrator account - I've got 8.1.4 on this laptop and I'm logged in as "ashe." . One thing I'd check is if the PostgreSQL service account still exists from your 8.1.3 install - PG may have assigned a random password to this account which it now cannot log in to. Best thing to do is (after taking a backup of your data), uninstall PG 8.1.3, remove the postgres service account, then re-try a clean install of 8.1.4 and restore your data.

Andy

Hyatt, Gordon wrote:
I've searched the archives and found no helpful info, so I'll ask here.

I've successfully installed v8.1.3 on my laptop and was attempting to upgrade it to version 8.1.4 when I ran into the message indicating that the service could not be installed due to insufficient permissions to install services.  The actual message was: Service "PostreSQL Database Server 8.1" (pgsql-8.1) could not be installed.  Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services.

After I received the message, I attempted to install (and remove) other services I've written.  I was able to install and remove these services without issue.

I just double-checked and the account I'm signed in under has administrator privileges (the only account on the laptop that has such). The only catch I can think of is that its name is not "Administrator". I've encountered other software that refused to install if the account name was not "administrator" (regardless of actual privileges). Is this now the case with postgresql?
Any suggestions?

Thanks, in advance,

Gord

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster