pg_clog questions

While checking our server, I noticed quite a few files in the pg_clog directory.

These files date from today back to the day when I installed PostgreSQL.

Is there a maintenance task which can be run to purge the files which are no longer needed?

I assume the majority of them are not needed, since the data has already been commited.

I back up nightly with pg_dump, but this obviously does not reset these files.

Do I need to do a backup with archiving in order to clear these out?

TIA,

Benjamin