Re: reg:Query

[Please keep mail on-list;  I don't need multiple copies.  Thanks.]

Andy Shellam wrote:
I think it changed in 8.0 onwards.

I used an application that was written for 7.4 on my 8.0.3 server, and it
threw up errors at the LIMIT statements, saying the "LIMIT X,Y" format was
deprecated, and to use "LIMIT X OFFSET Y" instead - so I had to have much of
the application queries rewritten.

Ref: section 7.6 in the 8.1-series manual.

I'm sure you could use both pre-8.0 - it's just that the LIMIT X,Y format
was withdrawn after 8.0.

Er, that's what I meant: I've never seen the LIMIT X,Y format, but I've been using the LIMIT X OFFSET Y format with both 7.2 and 7.4. (Actually, IIRC, this is one of the few bits of code of any kind in my particular app that's still hanging around from before I took over maintenance... when it ran on MySQL. <G> I quickly switched over to Postgres for quite a long list of reasons.)

Your earlier messages in the thread seemed to imply that LIMIT X,Y was the ONLY format that would work pre-8.0. Which definitely isn't the case - unless I've been using some mutated third-party-patched versions of Postgres. (Entirely possible given that I usually install distribution packages rather than build-from-source- although I'd be very surprised if this was one of the changes.)

-kgd