Re: Invalid Page Headers

On Apr 18, 2006, at 2:15 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

"Thomas F. O'Connell" <tfo@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
I would've expected the RAID to protect postgres from the possibility
of data corruption, but I guess not.

Ooops :-(.  It might be interesting to get pg_filedump dumps of the
corrupted pages, just to see what the failure pattern looks like.
I doubt there's much we can do about it, but you don't know till you
look. ("If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be research.")

I'm still looking into what actually caused the hardware failures and how it could've reached a level where it would've affected postgres.

I'll grab pg_filedump and report back.

In the meantime, should I leave the database online while I attempt to recover? It's still unclear to me whether postgres will restart with invalid page headers. I certainly can't run pg_dumpall, for instance.

I'm glad that there have so far been only 3 relations affected... :(

--
Thomas F. O'Connell
Database Architecture and Programming

http://www.sitening.com/