Re: PITR Based replication ...

Andy Shellam wrote:

Robin,

On my part it's simply the fact that I currently have two servers in
different geographical locations - and cost of new hardware is a huge issue.

I have, however, recently developed an interest in rsync but I'm unsure as
to how PG on the standby server would handle a complete rsync'd data
directory.

Andy

Andy - agreed that DRBD is not appropriate for WAN-type environments (at least not unless the database is mostly read-only).

There has just recently been a fairly extensive discussion on this list about how best to replicate the WAL files between two machines - I have no direct experience of this myself so will not comment on whether or not rsync is suitable.

Cheers,
Robin