Re: Continuous On-line Backups

On Mar 24, 2006, at 5:19 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

Thomas F. O'Connell wrote:
So long as I know that nothing will access the recovery database with
write activity, is there a way to toggle the continuity so that I
could allow recovery to complete on a nightly basis, pg_dump the
recovered database (a read-only action), and then resume recovering?

Even a read-only action uses up transaction numbers and other things, so
I'd expect that to be a problem.

Good point.

My chief concern with the loss of flexibility would be the greater difficulty in detecting a lost or corrupted WAL segment file if archive_command is operating across a network (or locally, with an external script responsible for moving the files across the network).

With nightly pg_dumps/pg_restores, at least I know my window of a valid database is on the order of 24 hours.

Simon Riggs recently recommended base backups as a weekly process with a continuous on-line backup operating in the interim. I guess the price to be paid for the higher availability is increased scrutiny of the process.

--
Thomas F. O'Connell
Database Architecture and Programming

http://www.sitening.com/