Archive Command Configuration

Hi,

I am in the process of implementing Failover to our production database. Inorder to able to restore to the last archive log, I have cron job from the production database that runs every 5-10min to check if there are any new archive logs and copy new archive logs to the remote stand by failover machine.

The problem with this scenario is that there might be a possibility that I might scp a partially filled archive log over to the remote machine on a heavily updated databases with batch jobs runnings most of the time like ours.

  So, inorder to over come this we want to change the archive_command to

archive_command = 'cp %p /archives-temp/%f && mv /archives-temp/%f /archives/%f' ( I could do remote copy also with the command but I dont want to go that route because of network problems. )

With this command the archive log files are first copied to a temporary location and then moved over to the actual location to which I can point my cron job and do the scp to remote location every 5-10 min. I tried with this command on a test machine and made sure that the logs are moved over from archive-temp to archives directory, it works.

My question is there any problem in using this approach ? will I run into problems in the future ? are there any other better ways of solving this problem ?

 postgresql version is 8.0.2.

Thanks!
Pallav.