*From:* pgsql-admin-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Arnau Rebassa Villalonga
*Sent:* Wed 2/15/2006 4:39 AM
*To:* pgsql-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*Subject:* [ADMIN] how test postgresql.conf settings?

Hi all,

   I'm testing different configurations of postgresql 8.1 running on
debian. The method I was following was:
   - change the postgresql.conf
   - restart postgres (/etc/init.d/postgresql restart )
   - execute my test queries

  I have noticed that this is not enough to flush the cache, I don't
know where it is, if at the raid controller, at OS or at postgresql
itself. Reboot the machine I don't think it's a good solution because it
takes quite long. Do you have any suggestion? BTW is there any tool to
stress the DB, I mean, create a set of queries to execute and throw a
configurable set of concurrent connections to check the performance?

Thanks to all
--
Arnau

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster