A question about differences between createdb and "create database"

I have a pg_dump of a database (without autocreation lines) that I tried loading by using the commands: createdb -T template0 -U postgres database; psql -U postgres database < filename

I couldn't get it to connect via ODBC. But when I added the following lines in the source file:

CREATE DATABASE "database" WITH TEMPLATE = template0 ENCODING = 'SQL_ASCII';
   ALTER DATABASE "database" OWNER TO postgres;
   \connect "database"

And loaded it with the command "psql -U postgres template1 < fileanme" the resultant database worked fine with ODBC. So something is apparently different between the command line "createdb" command and the "create database" command. Has anybody else run into this? And if so, are there any other problems I should be aware of? Or did I miss an option of the "createdb" line?

Thanks,
Paul
   PS - I'm currently running PostgreSQL 8.1.2 under Linux Fedora Core 2