constraint_exclusion on OLTP tables

Has anyone got a working system using the new 8.1 contraint_exclusion partitioning on OLTP tables?

Here is my situation.

The main system I administer is required by law to keep 7 years of data.  Management wants to keep all 7 years online so the user community can access it whenever they want to.  I am looking very hard at partitioning the data since the tables are already becoming very difficult to deal with at the 2-3 year point.

The main table of our system has a record number and a status.  This is my problem table. The record number is a combination of a 2 digit year and a serial column.  I have been thinking of partitioning the table based upon those two fields.