Re: Postgresql performance and tuning questions

Zitat von Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

But you're not running the least buggy version of the 7.4 branch. The
7.4 branch is up to 7.4.9.  If you are runing 7.4.2 then you haven't
installed all the updates supplied by Suse for their distribution (or
Suse backports bug fixes from 7.4.9 to 7.4.2, which I kinda doubt) which
means you likely haven't upgraded ANY of the packages that came with it,
which means your system, if it is put on the internet, will likely be
hacked within days, if not hours.

SuSE always only do backports of fixes and never increase the version number. They only appended a self made "build" number which increases. So it is really possible that all the fixes are in while the version stays the same.

I would recommend looking into at least 8.0.  It's been out for a year,
it's quite stable, and has many features like point in time recovery
that make it a very good choice for production.

No doubt about this one.

Regards

Andreas