Re: Unable to connect to a specific database

Well after kill -9, it was in recovery mode but I restarted the server again. It took a while (~ 45min) but it connected again. I have noticed that after a vacuum it takes a while to connect for the first time. You mentioned kill -9 is very bad news. Everything seems to be working fine now, should I be worried? What are the consequences?
Thanks

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: pgsql-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Unable to connect to a specific database
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 12:38:09 -0500

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 09:19:30PM -0500, Christopher Browne wrote:
> It is possible that you have corrupted the database by issuing "kill
> -9."

If that's true, then WAL doesn't work.  kill -9 shouldn't be any more
harmful than a machine crash.  That is to say, it's very bad news,
but it shouldn't actually corrupt the database.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I remember when computers were frustrating because they *did* exactly what
you told them to.  That actually seems sort of quaint now.
		--J.D. Baldwin

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend