Re: "ld.so.l: /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb: fatal:

setting it like you mention below will set it for this session only. Setting it in your .profile (Is solaris 10 still using /bin/sh and not bash as the default shell?) should make it available for each login. I don't have a solaris 10 machine to look at right now, but in most linux distros, you can set system wide environemnt variables in /etc/profile.d, I would guess that Solaris 10 has a similar setup.

Also, on linux machines, there is an /etc/ld.so.conf which has contains the system wide search path for shared libs, solaris 10 has something similar in /var/ld for 32bit and 64bit libs. You can change this by running the crle command (Configure Runtime Linker Environment).