Re: postmaster blues after system restart

On Oct 13, 2005, at 9:35 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

"Thomas F. O'Connell" <tfo@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

When I restart, everything seems to come up fine with the exception
that postmaster starts in a state such that it doesn't seem to be
accepting connections (either over UNIX or TCP/IP). As best I can
tell, it is using the init script to start postgres because
pg_autovacuum tries to start, too, and dies shortly after the box
comes up because it, too, cannot connect to postgres.

hmmm ... maybe you need to start your DNS server first?

I'll check the order in which services are started. But would the DNS server prevent UNIX socket connections?

Also, is there any way to get more status out of a postmaster if one
cannot connect to it?

One thing I'd look into is exactly what ports it's listening to ---
try lsof and/or netstat for this.  Also, have you looked at the
postmaster log?

I'll take a look at the ports. I was wondering about the best way to do that.

The postmaster log gives no evidence of anything out of the ordinary.

--
Thomas F. O'Connell
Co-Founder, Information Architect

Open Source Solutions. Optimized Web Development.

http://www.sitening.com/
110 30th Avenue North, Suite 6
Nashville, TN 37203-6320
615-469-5150