DB Cluster hanging

Hi,
I'm hoping that someone will be able to answer this query:
Last night at 3am our Postgresql DB cluster hung.  At the time datawas being loaded.  The parameter log_statement_stats in thepostgresql.conf file was set to true.  This was churning out data intothe logfile which was switching every 10Mb.  Eventually the partitionwhere the logfiles are written to filled up – fair enough – this hadbeen going on since about 5.30pm the previous evening and the logfileswere being generated at the rate of 4/5 a minute.  The partition wascleared of old logs and I expected the DB to spring in to life, but noit just sat there.  I could not connect with psql or pg_ctl toshutdown the cluster.
Eventually I had to issue a kill -9 on the postmaster, setlog_statement_stats to false and restarted the cluster, It recovereditself and the data load carried on.
My question is, is this normal behaviour when the logfile destinationfills up?  There was nothing in the logfile being used at the time ofthe hang, just stats data.
 PG version 8.0.3 with archived WAL logs enabled
O/S version RH ES4 with 2 CPUs & 2Gb RAM
Thanks very much for any input.

Regards,
Nigel Bishop
---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend