protecting database from internet access

hi,

please do the needful..

I am using j2ee on the server side and postgresql as the database to connect. This database is exposed to the internet.

The user is shown a login page in which user enters its username and password. Password authentication takes place.This password is authenticated on the basis of password field in the userprofile table.

some questions :-
1)can anybody tell me how to do this so that the database is at most secure on the internet ? 2)should i have different password(login password) for the connection string ? or connection string password should be same and authentication should be done by fetching the password value from the userprofile table for the coressponding user ?
3)Encrypting the password ?
4)Adding the password in the session so that once authentication is done user is allowed for authorization for different resources such databases,tables etc..
5)providing some SSl or tunneling to the database ?

please help with some examples..

i am presently using pg admin III on windows of postgresql. later on might switch to linux.

i have read about pg_hba.conf file..But these things are not clear to me.

Thanks,
Ashish

Finding it difficult to find your life partner?Here is your solution http://www.bharatmatrimony.com/ http://creative.mediaturf.net/creatives/bm05/bm_msn_tagoffline.htm