Re: postgresql cluster on SAN

Robert Ngo wrote:

Chris Browne wrote:

robertngo@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Robert Ngo) writes:
Can i create create a cluster of postgresql server by sharing the
database file on a SAN? I am also looking into slony but slony replicate
data to each server and my database will potentially have terabytes of
data. I am thinking about a solution where a cluster of database server
will share database files on SAN, can this be done? I am also looking
for a load balancing salution for the postgresql database. Any sugestion?

What you wish can NOT be done.

There can only be ONE postmaster for each database cluster; you can
NOT have multiple servers sharing a single cluster.
so there is no ways for the file storage to be shared between postgres cluster? Then i will need to add a huge amount of storage every time new server is added.

Is there any way i can reduce the storage requirement of the database server cluster?

Maybe you can provide us with more information on your environment, application, expected load, etc. so we can help you explore other possibilities.
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
begin:vcard
fn:Chris Travers