To: "Dirk Kalp" <dkalp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <pgsql-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2005 11:16 AM
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Trouble Getting Database Server Started

Hi Dirk:

 I have been seeing similar problems if PC pwered down rather than using
the Windows shut down facility.

 In my case the user which suppose to start the service loses "Logon as
service" right therefore service can not be started.

 On your computer A, check to see if the database service was started or
not.  If not then give the user which suppose to start the service
"logon as service" rigth again and try to re-start the service.  The
service should start.  Once the service is started your front end
programe should be able to connect to backend database.

 Hope this helps.

Karim

Trouble Getting Database Server Started

I'm no longer able to connect to the database with psql. PostgreSQL 8.0.0
was included as part of a software package I'm using to collect
environmental
data. It is a very simple logging application - mostly a single simple
table
with timestamp and 6 integers in each record and on the order of 50K
records
over the past 3 weeks. I'm using version 8.0.0 on Windows XP Pro.

The vendor install script for the application installs the database as a
Win32 Service
to be launched when Windows boots up. I don't have access to the details
of the
install procedure. It has been working fine for 3 weeks but one morning
the computer
(I'll refer to it as Computer A) was found powered down and since then
I've no
longer been able to connect to the database.

I see from the Postgres archives that one can simply take a copy of the
installed
PostgreSQL directory folder and move it in place of the PostsgreSQL folder
on a
working system. I took another computer (Computer B) and ran the same
installation
script and tested to verify I could connect with psql. Window's Task
Manager showed
6 postgres processes: postmaster.exe, pg_ctl.exe, and 4 postgres.exe. (Not
sure what
the 4 postgres.exe are for.)

I next replaced the PostgreSQL folder with the one from my Computer A
holding my
collected data. After rebooting Computer B, Task Manager shows only
postmaster.exe
and pg_ctl.exe. I still can't connect with psql.

Since I had a file system backup of Computer A from about a week prior
when everything
was working fine, I tried to see if I could get the archived PostgreSQL
directory to
work on Computer B. It also showed just postmaster.exe and pg_ctl.exe
running and psql
could not connect either.

I don't know what caused Computer A to power down. It is in a lab and
someone may have
inadvertently cut the power. Would that corrupt the database to the point
where I can't
connect to it or its startup mechanism be disrupted? I don't know what
role those 4
postgres.exe processes fill - are they part of standard postgres startup?
Secondly, I
don't know why sliding in the archived PostgreSQL folder on Computer B did
not work.

Please let me know if further details are required.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Dirk Kalp

Regards,

Karim Mardhani