Re: Question on placing database on a network attached

If you are using postgresql-8.0.x, then you can use PITR and base backups to achieve a fairly consistent backup on a NAS which restores rather quickly. If the NAS supports hard links, then you can use the --link-dest option of rsync to make the base backups quite fast and still retain more than one base backup at a time. The only problem with this solution is that you need at least as much disk space as your PGDATA directory contains, plus enough space for the WAL archives between base backups.

If the NAS does not support hard links, but does do snapshotting as you indicate, then using rsync with the --partial flag against the previous base backup would also be quite fast and bandwidth efficient. The snapshotting on the NAS would take care of the prior version base backup for you and all you need do is rotate out the WAL archives according to how many snapshots you care about.

Using PITR in this way has the added benefit of allowing you to restore the DB to some point in the past if need be.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner 	<jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Phone: 650-780-7908	FAX: 650-649-1954