Re: change existing table definition

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply and help. The following is what I find from google. Will it work?

A quicker solution would be to use the pg_dump command
to dump the table, change the needed columns and restore
everything.

psql <database> < <dumpfile>

Regards,

Chuming

Martin Fandel wrote:

Aehm sorry. ALTER TABLE is not only in PostgreSQL 8 ;). Only the
datatypes can be changed in postgres 8 (right?). I answered to fast.
I'm sorry.

CREATE TABLE newtable ( "bla" varchar(50));
CREATE INDEX/TRIGGER/... (with different names as the production table)
INSERT INTO newtable (select * from production);
ALTER TABLE production RENAME TO old;
ALTER TABLE newtable RENAME TO production;

If this is working correctly, you can drop the old INDEXES and rename them.

If its not working correctly
ALTER TABLE production RENAME TO new;
ALTER TABLE old RENAME TO production;

and insert the different data (which is in the oldtable) into the
production table.

Greetings,
Martin