Re: restoring wal archive and pg_xlog dir

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Simon Riggs wrote:

I also noticed that if there is not at least one wal archive available in
the archive or the pg_xlog dir, the restore errors out and exits.  So the
base backup is really not complete without at least one wal archive
following it.  Is this by design?

That was the bit I didn't. Fix partially implemented and I am to submit
for 8.1, godspeed my typing fingers. There's a simple workaround if you
have a low transaction rate system: load up enough data to trip into the
next xlog.

Simon, thanks for the clarification! What we have is a low transaction rate system which rolls over about 5 xlogs a day or so. I'm trying to write a nice automated script that anyone can run to restore the DB from a pitr archive and base backup should disaster strike and I'm not around, so I'm attempting to sort out what exactly that might entail. It looks like this is what I need to have a complete restorable data dir:

So, .backup file is named: 000000010000000500000051.00FB6C60.backup, then I need at least the following to do a proper restore:

* pg_xlog/000000010000000500000051
* PGDATA base backup

and then any archived wal files that come after 51 if none happen before the next base backup?

Thanks for all the help guys!

--
Jeff Frost, Owner 	<jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Phone: 650-780-7908	FAX: 650-649-1954