Re: restoring wal archive and pg_xlog dir

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

Segment files pulled from the archive are saved using temporary file
names (and then deleted after being replayed).  For obvious safety
reasons, we try never to overwrite any xlog file in either the archive
or local storage.

So, that, immediately begs the question as to why the docs indicate we should clear out all the files in the pg_xlog directory before beginning the restore? Wouldn't it be better to keep them in place? Or am I missing a big picture item.

I also noticed that if there is not at least one wal archive available in
the archive or the pg_xlog dir, the restore errors out and exits.  So the
base backup is really not complete without at least one wal archive
following it.  Is this by design?

Certainly.  If you don't have wal data spanning the entire time that the
base backup is being taken, the backup is useless because there's no way
to make it consistent.

Ohhhh...I guess I misunderstood the meaning of base backup. So, what I really need if my .backup file is named: 000000010000000500000051.00FB6C60.backup, then I need at least the following to do a restore:

pg_xlog/000000010000000500000051
PGDATA base backup

and then any archived wal files that come after 51?

The background on this is that I'm trying to script up a one script restore solution and my testing has me running into the occassional surprise.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner 	<jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Phone: 650-780-7908	FAX: 650-649-1954