PostgreSQL default data location

I am running Trustix 3.0 RC2 and am trying to set the default data location for PostgreSQL as follows: I changed the default PostgreSQL data directory by running initdb -D /vol1/pgsql/data as the postgres user. Next I edited /etc/sysconfig/postgresql to change the PGDATA variable to the new directory. When I try to start postgreSQL it chokes saying the data directory /var/lib/posgresql/data has not been initilized, which is true but it should be trying to use the new data directory! I then also tried editing /etc/sysconfig/postmaster.args to add the -D /vol1/pgsql/data option to it but this also did not work! After looking at the /etc/init.d/postgresql script I put a symbolic link in /etc/sysconfig/postgresql.d to point to the file /etc/sysconfig/postgresql. Now if I use the command 'service postgrsql start' everything works fine...But on reboot the same problem occurs, postgresql tries to use the /var/lib/postgres/data directory still. What seems weird is that the service command works (or '/etc/init.d/postgresql start') but if I try to run the script '/etc/rc3.d/S85postgresql start' it looks for the default data directory and chokes. To make a long story short how do I change the default data diretory for PostgreSQL? What did I do wrong?

James Herbers