Re: Is there a way to build 32-bit mode on 64-bit Linux boxes?

Wayne Schroeder wrote:
I'm trying to build postgresql and odbc from source on x86_64 Linux
hosts but I need to run them in 32-bit addressing mode since my app is
not 64-bit ready yet.

What does your app care? Unless you are writing the app directly to libpq?

Which version of Linux are you running?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Simple test programs can be built as 32-bit apps (if the libraries are
installed) via gcc's -m32 option.

I checked for postgres configure options to do something similar, but
didn't find anything.  I experimented with setting environment
variable CFLAGS to -m32 and it does seem to be picked up by
configure/make, but then 'ld' gets errors:
  /usr/bin/ld -r -o SUBSYS.o heaptuple.o indextuple.o indexvalid.o
  printtup.o scankey.o tupdesc.o
  /usr/bin/ld: Relocatable linking with relocations from format
  elf32-i386 (heaptuple.o) to format elf64-x86-64 (SUBSYS.o) is not
  supported
So ld needs some additional options of some sort, but it looks like
that would involve some complicated specifications of various libraries.

I checked the archives, but didn't see anything about this.

Is there any way to do this?  Any plans to add it?  Any hints on what
I could try?

Thanks much,

 - Wayne -

(This is my home email address as I was unable to post from work
(schroede@xxxxxxxx))
http://users.sdsc.edu/~schroede
SDSC Storage Resource Broker group  http://www.sdsc.edu/srb

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq